Also called “compression stockings”, compression socks are a type of sock that differs from conventional socks. In fact, compression stockings have specific properties that go beyond simple clothing. More specifically, they have properties that help treat, relieve and prevent pain for a variety of people.
For example, sportsmen and women benefit just as much as the elderly – for completely different reasons.
In this article, you will discover the characteristics and care methods for the different types of compression stockings
- Comfort stockings
- Elegant stockings
- Sport stockings
- Therapeutic stockings
- Compression stockings for the treatment of lymphedema
Comfort stockings fit almost any size and shape of foot and leg, without restricting circulation. This type of compression stocking is therefore perfect for people with diabetes, moderate to severe edema and more.
Since it is made entirely of cotton, comfort stockings are suitable for even the most sensitive skin. Flat seams, breathability and softness add to the exceptional comfort. Easy to put on, take off and care for, comfort compression stockings are a must-have on the market and are available in several models.
Designed for people with mild edema, these compression stockings are very versatile. Indeed, they come in different choices of fabrics and colors, allowing it to complement your outfits, all styles combined. They go well with a more professional outfit (skirt, dress, suit) than casual (short pants, dress shoes).
Visually, they merge with conventional nylons. Due to its great availability in terms of fabrics, colors and variations, it is often recommended for pregnant women, people who work standing or sitting for long periods.
Sportsmen and athletes adopt this compression stocking for several reasons. Performance support, injury prevention, comfort and recovery support are just a few of the reasons.
Today, the market offers some of the most innovative compression stocking models for athletes. Their technology allows them to :
- reduce vibrations caused by impacts on the ground
- reduce the risk of developing periostitis
- prevent the appearance of calf cramps
- prevent the accumulation of lactic acid in muscle tissue
It is also interesting to know that compression stockings for athletes are highly breathable and dry quickly. Depending on the model, they are made of quality fibers such as polyester, polyamide and elastane. Proper care is essential to preserve the properties of the stocking for as long as possible.
As the name suggests, compression stockings are used to treat certain diseases. These stockings are therefore specifically developed to reduce certain symptoms and prevent complications of diseases such as
- Diabetes: Compression stockings are strongly suggested for people with diabetes. Since they are vulnerable to various foot conditions, therapeutic stockings are a convincing prevention ally.
- Venous ulcers: Here again, therapeutic socks are very appropriate. In fact, compression is the first line of treatment for venous ulcers (or varicose ulcers). A therapeutic compression stocking can save the person from having to resort to weekly bandages.
- Thromboembolism: When worn properly, therapeutic compression stockings can positively reduce the clotting involved in thromboembolism. Generally, stockings of considerable tension are suggested. They must be worn continuously to narrow the diameter of the vein and speed up blood flow.
Health care professionals are unanimous on the appropriateness of compression stockings for lymphedema.
Specifically, in the early stages of lymphedema, a circular knit compression stocking is suggested. As the volume of the affected limb stabilizes, a straight-knit compression stocking may be used.
In all cases, the type of knitting and the level of tension are determined by the professional in charge. There are three levels of graduated medical compression for these stockings. They are all easy to put on, both for the patient and the caregiver.
In Quebec, custom-made stockings and garments for lymphedema treatment are covered by the Régie de l’assurance maladie. Thanks to a signed supplier agreement, Médicus can both provide you with custom compression stockings and take care of the reimbursement procedures with the RAMQ. This turnkey service is greatly appreciated by our clients.
Tips to maintain your compression stockings
Obviously, compression stockings require special care. Here are a few tips from our experts:
- Use a liquid adhesive to ensure the integrity of the stocking’s properties throughout the day
- Use a suitable cleaner
- Follow the instructions for putting on and taking off compression stockings suggested by the manufacturer or your health care professional
Learn more about how to maintain compression stockings and garments
Although readily available and sometimes over-the-counter, compression stockings deserve careful selection, guided and measured by a certified compression adjuster. No matter what your reasons are for buying it, learning about the most popular products on the market is the winning choice.