Orthopedic shoes: their advantages and distinctions
Orthopedic footwear plays several roles for different clientele, bringing many advantages. It is interesting to know that today, people of all ages benefit from orthopedic footwear. Orthopedic footwear is suitable for everyone since several models are offered, in a vast selection, to ensure that their needs and lifestyle are covered.
The main role of the custom-made shoe is to correct a bone, nerve, or joint disorder, in order to relieve the pain and restrictions of the patient in question. For example, an orthopedic shoe could be prescribed to correct a deformity in the foot, whether genetic or acquired over time. A good pair of shoes is essential in daily life, whether worn alone or with foot orthotics.
Several advantages of custom-made footwear make it an asset of choice for men and women of all ages, and even for some children. Here are a few of them:
- Walking aid for a person with an ankle sprain.
- Provides unparalleled comfort as it is molded to the natural shape of the foot.
- It is prescribed by a professional who takes into account several factors in order to optimize the lifespan of your orthopedic shoe.
- It can contribute to the treatment plan for certain postural disorders such as scoliosis.
- Orthopaedic footwear brings substantial comfort to people who have to work standing all day long.
Roles and benefits of a good shoe :
- Better foot stability
- Protection of the sole of the foot by the orthopedic insole
- Good support of the heel and sides of the foot thanks to its reinforcements and buttresses
- Removable insole allowing the wearing of plantar orthoses
- Prevention and pain relief
Who benefits from orthopedic shoes?
One of the reasons a patient may ask for more information about footwear is severe – and sometimes incapacitating – foot pain. An orthopedic shoe can be recommended as a means of preventing musculoskeletal and postural disorders or as a complement to treatment with foot orthotics.
In all cases, the main role of foot orthotics is to improve the function of your feet through repositioning, support, and balance.
Here are a few clients who may sooner or later benefit from the advantages of orthopedic footwear:
- Workers in a prolonged standing position
- Men and women with chronic foot pain when walking
- Runners or all sports enthusiasts
- People suffering from polyarthritis, hallux valgus, etc.
- A child with a foot deformity
In general, orthopedic shoes are designed to support the natural shape of the foot by providing superior comfort and support. Often stiffer, they prevent ankle sprains and thus limit the pain caused by wearing unsuitable footwear.
OUR KNOW-HOW AND CONSULTANTS AT YOUR SERVICE
Médicus offers a wide selection of high-quality shoes and orthopedic sandals. It’s a proven fact: excessive pressure and foot pain accumulate throughout the day and affect our well-being and performance. Our orthopedic shoes are designed to provide comfort that will optimize your daily life.
Validated by Emmanuel Beauchemin, Head clinician at Médicus