What is cavoid foot?
Cavoid foot, also known as pes cavus, is characterized by a sharp accentuation of the plantar vault, increasing the height of the arches of the foot. Other symptomatic anomalies are often added, such as:
- Hammer toes;
- Hindfoot misalignment;
- Spiral torsion of the foot;
- A torsion disorder of the lower limb.
A moderate accentuation of the plantar vault is fairly common and well tolerated, although it tends to intensify depending on severity and with age.
Where does it come from?
In most cases, the origin of cavoid foot is neurological. Therefore, it is frequently found in patients with diseases such as:
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease;
- Cerebral palsy;
- Neuromuscular diseases;
- Spina bifida.
How can it be recognized?
Poor distribution of support on the ground causes many symptoms, such as:
- Pain in the toes;
- Pain on the outer edge of the foot;
- Pain in the forefoot (metatarsalgia);
- Pain in the heel (talalgia), due to the Achilles tendon and the retracted plantar fascia;
- Pain in the ankle and the instep (anterior region of the foot, at the function of the leg), often resulting from shoe fitting difficulties;
- Repetitive sprains.
Treatment solutions for cavoid foot
- Opt for a foot orthosis
The foot orthosis indicated for cavoid foot is designed from very comfortable materials. It optimizes shock absorption, relieves the load on the areas where support is excessive and supports the arches of the foot. It avoids falls and sprains and prevents the progression of deformations.
- Choose an orthopedic shoe
It is recommended to wear an adapted shoe that respects the anatomy of the foot, stabilizes the heel and avoids pain due to friction and compression of the toes. The features to prefer are plenty of space in the forefoot, solid rear reinforcements and extra depth.
- Turn to a custom-made shoe
A custom-made shoe is made according to specific characteristics to meet the needs of your condition. It has the necessary space to contain the deformations and the foot orthosis and allows increased efficacy.